Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Very First Chicken Broth and Soup!


Yes, this was a fun experience!  I decided to go with Kitchen Stewardship's recipe for chicken broth, since using a whole chicken just seemed really cool to me.  Ha, I know, I have a strange sense of what is cool.  For the chicken noodle soup, I used SnoWhite's recipe from Finding Joy in My Kitchen.  If you haven't been to her site, you must check it out...she has some great recipes!

I started making the chicken broth on Saturday afternoon.  Making your own broth isn't really difficult, but it is a fairly long process.  It suggests allowing the chicken to simmer for 4-24 hours and went somewhere in the middle at about 14 hours.  The end result was that I had a huge bowl of chicken broth that will last me for at least 5 soup recipes.  I just love that I knew exactly what went into my broth- no MSG, no natural flavorings...just chicken and veggies.  Yum!  I froze two ice cube trays full of broth to use later and had some more leftover for a soup I'm making this week. 

I made two batches of the chicken noodle soup and plan on giving one batch as a gift.  I've never made homemade noodles either, so the process of making the egg noodles was new too.  They seemed more like small dumplings to me, but I don't care because I still think they are tasty!

Well, those are my notes from this weekend's cooking.  Did you try something completely new?

This post is linked with the Moms' 30 Minute Blog Challenge, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Homemade chicken booth is really very EASY!!! and can be used to make a healthy soup for the family. And what a GREAT!!! idea too make two batches of soup and giving one as a gift. I also like to freeze in ice cube trays. After they freeze I place them in a freeze bag.
    I have become a follower of your blog, I love to share recipes and ideas. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails