Monday, November 16, 2009

Split Pea and Ham Soup


Since we made a 5 pound ham last week, I have some leftover.  So, I thought this week would be perfect for making split pea and ham soup.  I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and have varied it slightly.  They call for a meaty smoked pork hock, which I substituted for the ham cubes.  Also, I am using homemade chicken broth instead of the storebought version.  I love this recipe.  It's easy and tastes great!  My mother-in-law heard that I made a batch for my sister-in-law who just had her baby today and has now requested some for herself.  SO, I will be making this again soon!   

Split Pea and Ham Soup
Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups dry split peas, rinsed and drained
14 ounces chicken broth
2 cups cubed cooked ham
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
dash black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)

Instructions:
1. In a large saucepan combine water, split peas, broth, ham, marjoram, pepper and bay leaf.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. 
2. Stir in carrot, celery and onion.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.  Discard bay leaf.

Crock pot instructions:
1. Combine split pas, ham, marjoram, pepper, bay leaf, carrot, celery and onion.  Pour water and chicken broth over all.  Cover and cook on low-heat for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat for 4 to 5 hours.  Discard bay leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails